Skip to main content

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause death in minutes if breathed in. CO is produced by portable generators and other combustion equipment like camp stoves, lanterns, or charcoal burning devices.

Health Effects

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: dizziness, headaches, nausea, and tiredness. If carbon monoxide is breathed in, it is important to get to fresh air immediately and seek medical attention.

Links

Printable Resources

*NEW* Protect Your Family from CO Exposure (English)
*NEW* Protect Your Family from CO Exposure (Spanish)

 

OSHA Using Portable Generators Safely
CDC Carbon Monoxide Hazard (English)
CDC Keep Your Generator Outside (English)
CDC Carbon Monoxide Hazard (Spanish)
CDC Keep Your Generator Outside (Spanish)