Chemical irritants inside the home include:
- air fresheners
- cosmetics (especially nail polish and perfumes)
- scented candles
Exposure to these chemicals can persist long after the chemical is used.
Chemical irritants can trigger asthma symptoms in sensitive individuals. In addition, even in non-asthmatic individuals, breathing in these kinds of chemicals is unhealthy. Any steps you take to reduce the amount of chemical irritants in your home will make your home healthier.
- American Lung Association, Asthma webpage
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Asthma Triggers: Gain Control webpage
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Consumers-Best Burn Practices webpage
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) webpage