Pests: Bed Bugs: Home Visitor Protection
Images: boot cover: Lakeland Industries; Workshop; ERP owned; others purchased
Big Idea: Home visitors need to take precautions to prevent bedbugs from hitchhiking from clients/patients homes.
- Attend a bed bug training. The training should include: identification of bed bugs; awareness of where bed bugs can hide; and how to conduct a self-inspection.
- Do not sit or place any items on upholstered furniture or bedding. Bring a simple stool or folding metal chair to sit on.
- Wear protective booties or keep a separate pair of shoes in your car (stored in a sealed plastic bag when not in use) that you only wear into homes with bed bug infestations.
- Leave your bag or purse in the car. A plastic or metal clipboard can be used to hold paperwork
- Perform a self-inspection immediately after leaving and before entering your vehicle. Pay attention to inside and outside of shoes, lace holes, socks, legs, and around hands and arms.