Last Updated: February 27, 2019
Pests: Bed Bugs: Home Visitor Protection
Images: boot cover: Lakeland Industries; Workshop; ERP owned; others purchased
Big Idea: Home visitors need to take precautions to prevent bedbugs from hitchhiking from clients/patients homes.
- Attend a bed bug training. The training should include: identification of bed bugs; awareness of where bed bugs can hide; and how to conduct a self-inspection.
- Do not sit or place any items on upholstered furniture or bedding. Bring a simple stool or folding metal chair to sit on.
- Wear protective booties or keep a separate pair of shoes in your car (stored in a sealed plastic bag when not in use) that you only wear into homes with bed bug infestations.
- Leave your bag or purse in the car. A plastic or metal clipboard can be used to hold paperwork
- Perform a self-inspection immediately after leaving and before entering your vehicle. Pay attention to inside and outside of shoes, lace holes, socks, legs, and around hands and arms.
Bed bug guidelines for social service providers who conduct home visits