Air Quality: Animal Dander Solutions
Images: UNC CEHS COEC
Big Idea: Animal dander is an asthma trigger found in the home, but there are several steps that can reduce exposure to dander.
- Keep pets out of bedrooms and restrict them to a few rooms. But be warned that there is no guarantee that keeping a pet in only one room will limit allergens to that room.
- If pet dander worsens your asthma, don’t pet, hug or kiss a pet; if you do, wash your hands with soap and water.
- Bathing a dog at least once a week can reduce airborne pet allergen.
- Regularly using a HEPA vacuum cleaner or a central vacuum throughout the home also can reduce pet dander.
- HEPA room cleaners can run continuously in a bedroom or living room to reduce allergen levels over time.
- Professional allergy associations disagree on whether to remove pets from the home altogether, but they agree that there is no evidence of hypoallergenic cats and dogs.