Asbestos was used in building materials like floor tiles (including vinyl floor tiles), siding, roofing, and insulation from around 1900-1978.
Asbestos remediation is hazardous and should only be done by a licensed professional.
Long-term (20 to 30 years to onset) health effects from asbestos exposure include:
- lung cancer
- mesothelioma (cancer of the protective lining that covers some of the body’s internal organs)
- HUD Healthy Housing Supplemental funding policy
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Asbestos web page
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), Asbestos web page
- NC DPH Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, Asbestos web page